Robert Kidd
Essay 1: Evaluating Sources
For my entire life I have been a seeker
of knowledge. Sometimes it would be something as trivial as how to shine a pair
of shoes, and Other times it would be as serious as questioning the meaning of
life. Since I was a toddler I was always the kid asking everyone why things
were the way they were. It seems there is/was a driving force that compelled me
to want to know about things. Throughout my life the sources for information
were always very informative and they are similar I suppose. Some people want to know the “what” I,
however, want to know the “why.”
For
my entire life one of my biggest sources for information has been my dad. He’s
one of those guys who seems to know just enough about everything, which means he
can do almost anything. I always had
a million questions for him and rarely got an answer like “I don’t know”. Since
I was very young I loved being read to and later learned to love reading myself.
In elementary school I spent many summers, much to my dismay, reading aloud to
my mom. I would read American classics like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. A
childhood of reading, and discussing ideas with my father is what shaped my
information gathering predilections into what they are today.
Throughout
middle school and high school I still loved reading, but often found myself
being forced to read things that were boring. I was especially bored when we
would read the classics! During my time in middle school, I learned that a very
powerful tool for finding information was the computer. My generation has
literally grown up with Google and it is undeniably one of the most common
sources for information. Once we learned how to use the Internet, everything
changed. There really were articles out there on the exact topic you needed and
you could access them in seconds.
During the time from 6th to 12th grade I did learn
that there was another very common source of information: friends.
Before
middle school there was no need for gossip. I was at a small private school and
had been in class with the same 28 kids for my entire life. We would often all adopt a given
pastime and we would absolutely master it. A lot of our information gathering
was done through trial and error and through each other. At our school we learned
everything from caring for farm animals to pottery to archery. I can definitely
say we became our own sources. In 8th grade I switched to public
school and my sources were pretty typical. They included the Internet, books
from the library, and my peers.
All of these resources from my entire life of learning all have
different uses and bring different things to the table.
You can often tell what kinds of things
you will find in a source just by knowing what kind of source you are looking
at. The main sources I use for academic writing are, scholarly articles, books,
educational videos, and sometimes, the media. When I am looking at a scholarly article I can expect to
find the results of some tests or studies, which back up their opinions or
findings. They often contain
similar writings like the following: “Results indicated significant
differences in the personality styles of intrinsically and extrinsically
religiously oriented students.” (Silva 1) This was a quote from a psychology
article that is talking about the different personalities of people who are
self-motivated and people who are not.
The
scholarly articles are usually very specific and revolve around a single idea
or point. Sometimes I find that they are good for single pieces of information,
but generally don’t have a huge amount of information. Books are also good sources for
information. They will have a broader scope of an issue, and give the author
enough time to explain his/her thoughts on a particular subject. In a book
about freeing oneself from nicotine the author gives the reader a page and a
half of information on dopamine, while a standard article may give the reader a
single sentence on a single topic. The simple fact that the author has time to
fully explore ideas and opinions means that we learn that much more about a
given topic. Then, we can create our own ideas about topics because we have a
greater understanding of the information. The third source of information that
I use is the educational video. Videos are a great way learn about a
challenging topic. They give us information and allow us to learn through
seeing and hearing. The last type of source is the media. Depending on how
mainstream your topic is you will probably be able to find two or more views on
the issue. The media tends to discuss issues in depth online or in articles but
generally scratch the surface when on television. No matter what, the type of
information the media presents is entertaining and engaging. You can count on
news articles to be packed with facts, and they are usually about issues that
the average person would like to know more about. This excerpt shows the broad
audience some media articles can attract. “Cigarette and alcohol use among teens is at the lowest
level in decades, but marijuana use is on the rise, according to a survey
released on Wednesday.” (Keiper 1) This
not only captures the readers attention, it also has information for Teens,
parents, smokers, drinkers, and marijuana users.
Earlier
I found two sources on the topic of quitting smoking and I can expect to find
different types of information in each one. The first source is a full-length
book written for the smoking population. I expect to find a lot of information
about all aspects of smoking tobacco and also plenty of facts and anecdotes as
well. The second source is a scholarly article on the same topic. I came assume
that there will be less information on quitting than the book but I may find
the results to a study or some research. I expect the book to be more useful to me because it is
longer and, once again, the author has time to thoroughly explain his ideas,
opinions and experiences.
After
reading both sources it is clear they were meant for two different audiences
and one of them did not contain information that is useful to my paper. I am
looking for information that would help people get through the quitting process
and also teach them about their addiction. The scholarly article is focused on
the motivation to quit. The information I found was interesting but not really
what I was looking for. This excerpt gives a good overall summary of their
article: “Self esteem related to quitting was positively related to
desire to quit, expected success at quitting, confidence in quitting, and
motivation to quit.” (Mazure 1) They are interested in the psychology behind
wanting or not wanting to quit. Even though their focus was not on my specific
topic I did learn some interesting facts about motivation. They are also
curious about the reasons why people may choose not to seek treatment. This is
illustrated in the next excerpt: “Little
is known about beliefs about quitting and treatment motivation in non-treatment
seeking smokers.” (Mazure 1) This tells me that their target
audience is people who are treatment seeking and want to quit smoking. The
information from this article was not useful but what I found in the next
source was information that is.
The
book was able to give me lots of information about quitting and also many facts
about the quitters’ enemy: nicotine. It was able to explore the entire idea of
quitting and give the reader real life stories of quitters, one of which is the
author. In the very first chapter he gets the readers involved by saying the
following: “Remember how you body reacted to that first-ever inhaled puff, dip,
or chew of tobacco? Although some took to smoking like fish to water, what most
recall is how utterly horrible it tasted.” (Polito 13) This breaks the ice and makes the reader
comfortable. Either way, he is referring to your experience because he talks
about both kinds of first experiences. Then later he explains the feelings we
got from smoking: “In addition to producing a noticeable “aaah” reward
sensation, the brain records the entire event in what may be the highest
definition memory (plasticity) that the mind is capable of producing. It’s what
researchers call “salient” or “pay attention” memories.” (Polito 14) This
excerpt is stating how our brain gets a pleasurable experience when nicotine is
absorbed into the body. While both sources were about quitting smoking clearly
one was more useful than the other. I feel that the book will be more useful to
my paper than the article for some simple reasons. First, it has more
information to offer. Second, it gives examples and personal experiences of the
challenges and difficulties a quitter will face. And thirdly, it addresses the
topic of my paper. Using these sources for my paper I would start by giving the
reader some of the information that has been given to me. My paper would answer
the simple question of why people should quit the use of tobacco and also
nicotine. The information I found will help me complete all of these aspects
and is from a reliable source.
From
the very first information I absorbed from picture books to the complex
arguments I have found in college level articles I can safely say that my
information gathering techniques have evolved with the level of academic
writing I am required to do. In the future there may be better sources but for
now I feel that books are the best. Though time consuming and complex they do
seem to offer the most information and best developed ideas of the sources at
my disposal.
Works Cited
Keiper, Lauren. “Teens Using Cigarettes, Alcohol Less but Smoking Pot More.” Msnbc.msn.com. Reuters, 14 Dec. 2011. Web. 30 Jan. 2012. <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45671219/ns/health-addictions/#.TycY_JjDbao>.
Mazure, Carolyn M., Sherry A. Mckee, and Andrea H. Weinberger. “Perceived Risks and Benefits of Quitting Smoking in Non-treatment Seekers.” Addiction Research & Theory (Aug. 2010): 456-463. Web.ebscohost.com. Web. 25 Jan. 2012. <http://web.ebscohost.com>.
Polito, John R. Freedom from Nicotine the Journey Home. Goose Creek: FFNicotine.com, 2009. E-Book file.
Silva, Adilia, and Sumaya Laher. “Religious Orientation and Personality Styles in Psychology Students.” Web.ebscohost.com. Ebsco Industries, 1 July 2011. Web. 30 Jan. 2012. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.vccs.edu:2048/ehost/detail?vid=3&hid=106&sid=266bfff8-7361-489f-9ce1-5118dad93b9f%40sessionmgr111&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=66960373>.
You have a solid draft here- just needs a little tweaking, more so in the beginning where it is a tad repetitive. Some grammar mistakes here and there, but overall pretty decent. Also, the latter half of your essay is hard to read since the font is grayish-blackish and blends in with your background. But the first 5 paragraphs are white font- which is much better. Should try to make the font of the essay one solid color.
ReplyDeletei love your opening paragraph. (You may want to make the "o" in the word "other" lowercase in the second sentence though).
ReplyDelete